Educational Programs Contact History of Kaliningrad
Teachers' Comments Personnel Student Testimonials Certificate
ELC: Kaliningrad English Language Center
   History of Kaliningrad
The history of Kaliningrad doesn’t start after the finishing of the second World War, but it starts earlier. In 1255, the fortress Königsberg, King’s mountain,was founded north of Pregel. Opposite the fortress, on the island, the people of "Königsberg" began to build three cities - Alshtadt, Knaiphoff and Lebeniht, where merchants, apprentices, craftsmen and knights lived. Every city had its own Court and government. They were united later, in 1724, and named Königsberg. In 1325 in Knaiphoff a church was built and in the 17th century it became a cathedral. The inhabitants from Germany developed the city’s economy and commerce quickly. In 1339, Königsberg became a member of the Trade Union of the northern cities, Ganzu. Prussia exported wood, salt and even amber.
A very important event in the city's history occurred in 1457, when it became the residence of the Head of the Tevtonskiy Order. In the 16th century the head of Prussia, Duke Albreht, made this order the main religion and the city was allowed to have its own currency. Albreht was instrumental in organizing the University "Albertina" in 1544, teaching philosophers and other specialists in many fields. The university had many famous graduates. Among them was the great Emmanuel Kant. In 1701 the governor of Eastern Prussia Fredric named himself king which increased the prestige of the country. The creation of the famous Amber room started during his reign. From 1756 to 1763 Prussia took part in the 7-years War and Königsberg become a Russian city for 4 years until 1871 when Königsberg was united with Germany.

In 1912, in the center of the city, the Queen Luis’s Theatre was built. A little earlier the zoo had been opened, having about 900 different animals. In 1930 the city built the railway station. When Hitler became the head of Germany, Prussia became a place where the Germans gathered an army for the war against the Soviet Union. It was the place where the Second World War began. In April, 1945 the Soviet Army entered the city due to the bombing, only had 9 percent of the buildings were standing. The others had been ruined.

After the war, Königsberg became a part of the Soviet Union and in 1946 it was renamed Kaliningrad, in honour of a Russian chairman. From that time on old Königsberg began to live a new life. People from many parts of the Soviet Union moved to Kaliningrad. They built a new city: houses, squares, parks, schools and factories.

Kaliningrad today is a modern city. About 500 000 people live there. There are many factories, schools and museums. One of the most famous museums is the Museum of Amber, housed in "Der Dohna" Fort. The restored cathedral welcomes visitors, the World Ocean Museum invites you aboard the ship Vityaz. Kaliningrad is Russia’s Baltic Sea port that does not freeze.

There are many opportunities for the city to develop its economy. The fishing port is very important for the city and its region. The Amber plant is very well known in Kaliningrad. Amber is the greatest treasure of the city, because the city it possesses 90 percent of the world’s amber. The factory makes jewelry and materials for medicine.

There are several theatres for adults and the Puppet Theatre for children. There are also some cinemas. Modern Kaliningrad, like Königsberg, is a very green city. It has a lot of parks, squares and alleys. Inhabitants of Kaliningrad visit the zoo very often. Thousands of tourists visit Kaliningrad every year to see its beauty and to relax at the Baltic seaside. Tourists like to get, as a souvenir, a part of the Sun rock — a piece of amber, because amber is one of the symbols of the city. Welcome to Kaliningrad!
© 2002 ELC